Artichoke, also known as globe artichoke or French artichoke, is a large thistle-like perennial plant of the aster family (Asteraceae) grown for its edible flower buds.
It is extensively grown in Mediterranean countries, the Americas, and other regions with the necessary rich soil and mild, humid climate.
Benefits of the Plant
- Low in fat, high in fiber.
- Loaded with vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- Positive effects on liver health.
- May reduce total and “bad” LDL cholesterol.
- May lower blood pressure.
- May increase digestive health.